Construction Manager – Izmir, Turkey
|The Construction Manager is fundamental to a successful implementation and start-up of the Izmir business for APM Terminals.|
We are looking for a solid Construction Manager, who will be responsible for the full construction scope, including: contract management of the construction agreement with the landlord, supervision of the execution of the civil works as well as the full superstructure delivery.
|• Value and team-based leadership.|
• An open and engaging working environment.
• A wide range of international career opportunities.
• Opportunities for personal and professional growth in a dynamic environment.
• Competitive compensation packages.
|• Act as primary point of contact and responsible for the construction of the civil works and to the design, procurement and delivery of the superstructure of the terminal and its full requirements to operate.|
• Lead and co-ordinate multidisciplinary teams and activities of others in the delivery of all physical assets.
• Implement contract management standards based on the applicable agreements.
• Maintain full awareness of project requirements, designs, budget and schedule and liaise as necessary and ensure that the impact of change is fully assessed and introduced in a controlled manner.
• Ensure that issues like, safety, legal compliance and commissioning are addressed early in the project and are followed up on throughout the project life.
• Be a responsible individual for Project site safety and ensure compliance by all suppliers to APM Terminals’ safety standards and policies.
• Implement proper project controls / project procedures to manage the construction and delivery of equipment in a forward-looking manner while adhering to contract conditions.
• Track progress of the construction and, where appropriate, ensure issues are pro-actively addressed, resolved and/or escalated and reported.
• Liaise with the permitting team on approvals and permits where these interrelate with the business objectives.
• In line with corporate standards, implement best in class PM practices across the construction project and ensure they are consistently deployed by APMT staff, consultants and contractors.
• Maintain a forward looking risk-register and subsequent mitigation strategies.
• Meet regularly with the construction team / suppliers and maintain full awareness of issues which may impact safety, quality, progress and/or budget.
• Build strong relations with civil contractors, suppliers and consultants to influence the good outcome of delivering a terminal ready for operations.
|Who we are looking for|
|• Extensive Project and Contract Management experience in construction projects and exposure to Project Controls.|
• The person should have managed various large scale construction projects with multiple reports and with clear responsibility on achieving safety, time and budget targets.
• Capable of motivating teams in order to achieve project success.
• Driven, self-motivating, result orientated.
• High discipline – following through on actions and ensuring necessary documentation.
• High quality awareness and ability to work with constant care.
• Sensitive to cultural diversity and experience in a multicultural environment, in regard to employees, local authorities and other stakeholders.
• MSc Construction Management, Quantity Surveying, Civil / Mechanical Engineering or similar.
• Experience with container terminal construction is a distinct advantage.
• Excellent (business) communication and presentation skills in English. Turkish skills are a distinct advantage.
• Knowledgeable of general safety, health and environmental issues and well familiar with maritime codes.
• Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
|>||Last application date: 04 February 2014.|
For further information, please contact: .
APM Terminals has signed an agreement with Petkim, a publicly-listed petrochemical company that is majority-owned by SOCAR, the Azerbaijani state oil company, to develop a container terminal on Petkim’s site in the Nemruth Bay, near the city of Izmir on the Aegean Coast of Turkey.
The Aegean region counts for close to 20% of Turkey’s container traffic, which over the last years has seen a significant growth, driven by the large manufacturing base in and around the Izmir area.
The agreement consists of a new container terminal development, for which the civil works will be developed by the landlord according to APM Terminals’ design requirements. The terminal will become a modern facility according international standards with a quay length of 700m. APM Terminals will install all terminal handling equipment and operating systems. Construction works are in progress and the first phase is expected to be completed during 2015.
Once fully operational, with an annual capacity of more than 1 mill TEU, APM Terminals Izmir will be able to serve the latest generation vessels, thereby enable shipping lines to pursue economies of scale in this market.
| ||At APM Terminals, we are a team of over 20,000 employees spread across more than 60 countries united by a passion to provide our expertise in port operations and container management services. By providing the expertise and port infrastructure essential to world trade, we actively support the advancement of the societies around us, enabling local economies to unlock their potential and build an even stronger global community. Working with a team of talented professionals you will get a chance to experience different cultures and make friends all over the world. You’ll find a culturally diverse, stimulating environment at any of our offices, terminals or depots. When you join APM Terminals, the world is your workplace.|